Survey of factors influencing women’s selection of the delivery method of their second child in Shanxi Province, China
Objective: To explore the factors influencing women’s selection of the delivery method of their second child.
Methods: A questionnaire survey was administered among 431 women in the age range of interest from January 2015 to January 2017, and the survey results were evaluated and analyzed statistically. The experts evaluating the questionnaire are professionals in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Heji Hospital Affiliated to Changzhi Medical College.
Results: A total of 70.99% of subjects were 28-35 years old. Approximately 82.35% wished to undergo vaginal delivery, and the remaining 17.65% expressed to undergo cesarean delivery. The reasons for cesarean delivery included the following: fetal factors: worry about fetal health (33.33%), birth trauma (12.90%), and fetal macrosomia (38.17%); maternal factors: advanced age (36.56%), inability to bear uterine contraction pains (21.51%), worry about uracratia after vaginal delivery (10.75%), worry about perineum laceration (8.60%) and the impacts on sexual gratification after delivery (5.38%); social factors: faster delivery mode (54.84%), selection of birth time (27.96%), and better planning of maternity leave (17.20%).
Conclusion: Most women tend to undergo vaginal delivery. However, due to the influence of age, educational level and other factors, an increasing number of women prefer cesarean delivery. Medical institutions have the responsibility for providing overall and fair medical information to women of childbearing age to help them make informed choices regarding mode of delivery.
How to cite this:
Li JQ. Survey of factors influencing women’s selection of the delivery method of their second child in Shanxi Province, China. Pak J Med Sci. 2021;37(3):846-850. doi: https://doi.org/10.12669/pjms.37.3.2634
This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.