Maternal and Perinatal outcome after Ramadan Fasting

  • Rashida Parveen Department of Obs & Gyne, Unit-II, Nishtar Medical University Hospital, Multan
  • Mehnaz Khakwani Department of Obs & Gyne, Unit-II, Nishtar Medical University Hospital, Multan
  • Munazza Latif Department of Obs & Gyne, Unit-II, Nishtar Medical University Hospital, Multan
  • Ayesha Uzaima Tareen Department of Obs & Gyne, Unit-II, Nishtar Medical University Hospital, Multan
Keywords: Fasting, Maternal, Perinatal, Outcome

Abstract

Objective: To determine maternal and perinatal outcome after Ramadan fasting during pregnancy

Methods: This cross sectional study was conducted at The Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Nishtar Hospital, Multan from May to October 2019. A total of 226 women attending labour room, aged 18–35 years, having gestational amenorrhoea 15 – 40 weeks of gestation were included. Women who fasted for more than 15 days were compared with those who did not fast or fasted for less than 15 days in the month of Ramadan. Demographical profile along with maternal and perinatal outcomes were compared between the study groups considering p value less than 0.05 as significant.

Results: Out of 226 women, 58 (25.7%) fulfilled the criteria to be included in the fasting group while remaining 168 (74.3%) were slotted in the non-fasting group. There was no difference (p value > 0.05) in between the both group with respect to demographical characteristics except significantly less women were employed in the fasting group (p value=0.0246). No statistical difference was found in terms of maternal or perinatal outcomes between both the study groups.

Conclusion: Fasting women were not found to have poor maternal and fetal outcomes when compared to non-fasting women.

doi: https://doi.org/10.12669/pjms.36.5.2612

How to cite this:
Parveen R, Khakwani M, Latif M, Tareen AU. Maternal and Perinatal outcome after Ramadan Fasting. Pak J Med Sci. 2020;36(5):894-898. doi: https://doi.org/10.12669/pjms.36.5.2612

This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.

Author Biographies

Rashida Parveen, Department of Obs & Gyne, Unit-II, Nishtar Medical University Hospital, Multan

MBBS, FCPS (Obs & Gynae)

Department of Obs & Gyne, Unit-II, Nishtar Medical University Hospital, Multan

Mehnaz Khakwani, Department of Obs & Gyne, Unit-II, Nishtar Medical University Hospital, Multan

MBBS, FCPS (Obs & Gyne)

Professor of Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Unit-II, Nishtar Medical University Hospital, Multan, Pakistan.

Munazza Latif, Department of Obs & Gyne, Unit-II, Nishtar Medical University Hospital, Multan

MBBS, MCPS

Admin Registrar, Department of Obs & Gyne, Unit-II, Nishtar Medical University Hospital, Multan

Ayesha Uzaima Tareen, Department of Obs & Gyne, Unit-II, Nishtar Medical University Hospital, Multan

Senior Registrar, Department of Obs & Gyne, Unit-II, Nishtar Medical University Hospital, Multan.

Published
2020-06-26
How to Cite
Parveen, R., Khakwani, M., Latif, M., & Tareen, A. (2020). Maternal and Perinatal outcome after Ramadan Fasting. Pakistan Journal of Medical Sciences, 36(5). https://doi.org/10.12669/pjms.36.5.2612